The most direct highway route to Vancouver (Toronto, Sudbury, Sault Ste. Marie, Thunder Bay, Winnipeg, Regina, Calgary, Kamloops) results in an estimated driving time of 54 hours. Total distance: 4600Km. Going through the US would save us a few hours, because there are more interstate highways there, allowing higher speeds (and we would go through Chicago - and Fargo), but the Americans may not like to see us driving Inuk across the border with all our stuff in there).
Marina thought I was exaggerating when I said it would take a week, but it will take more. In some places, maybe it is OK to drive 10 hours a day, such as through the prairies of Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Alberta (known as the prairie provinces). Many of those roads will have the characteristics of the sword of D. Afonso Henriques (comprida e chata). I don't think I want to drive an average of 7.7 hours a day (to make it in a week). That's a full-time job! And you know I am not into that kind of shit.
We can perhaps stay with friends in Thunder Bay. A couple that worked at the farm just moved there. I think Marina mentioned that we can stay with someone in Winnipeg. It will be nice to be able to see so much of Canada and really get a feel of how big this country is. Too bad we will miss the East coast, which is supposed to be absolutely gorgeous. Maybe we will be able to make a trip there before the big move.
Friday, 5 February 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment