I have just applied to teach 2 courses in Windsor, Contemporary Moral Issues (what I am teaching now) and Law, Punishment and Morality (cool!). Because I start early, I will need to sleep there. If I teach one of those, one third of the wages will go toward commuting and accommodation there! Nuts... If I teach two courses, sure, it pays off, but I will need to spend most of the week in Windsor (I will need to get a room there). I have also applied to teach one course (Business Ethics) in Sarnia, which is just an hour away, which is nice, but the class is 3 hours long, and 6-9 pm.
It's kind of important that I keep teaching (regardless of my own career plans) because that will help us get permanent residence - professors get priority, so long as they can prove they have 1 year full-time experience (or equivalent part-time experience) . If I get another 2 courses, I will have a total of 5 courses as instructor in my CV. That should count as one year of experience, hopefully (full-time assistant professors generally teach 4-6 a year).
Also, since I spend no more than $1000 a month (600 Euro), teaching two courses means $2000 in the savings account per month - permanent residence money. It's crazy to think that accommodation is now 10% of my income, when in England it was often 50%. If I taught 3 courses I would save $3500 a month, which would be amazing. I will go for it if at least 2 are online (or I will go insane with the stress).
How could I be an assistant professor? Some of them are teaching 4 classroom-based courses per term these days (since universities cannot afford sessional instructors like me). That is nuts!!! That's an 60 hour week, I would say, and those are not easy 60 hours! Try to do some research in addition to that! Maybe when the baby-boomers start to retire things will get better for new professors.
Looking forward to my day at the farm tomorrow. Just one more Friday after this one. I will miss it! I don't mind the cold, the rain, the mud. It's all fantastic. I would really like to have a hobby farm.
No comments:
Post a Comment