Thursday, 12 March 2009

The climbing farming philosopher

Just came from an interview with farmer John Wilson. I walked there, took me 1:15. Some good photos on the way there. Amazing farm, right by the river, super friendly giant white dogs, jumped on me and tried to lick me to death. Next door lives a philosopher, funny enough, who teaches at Western.

I got the job, despite having no references. All the other farm workers are also students, although I am the only PhD. I actually think the PhD helped. This farmer is a cultivated guy, with an engineering degree, who traveled a lot, but he hated his engineering job and gave it up to get a farm. He likes to work with other interesting people, so he always hires university students.

I will start working 8 to 4, then 7 to 3, then finally 6 to 2, when it's really hot in the Summer. I will get paid little more for 40 hours a week than I get now to teach 3. Oh well. I will get fit and tanned and will probably feel more like writing than I do now. I can have holidays whenever I want, too. I am looking forward to May 1st!

No comments: