Friday, 23 January 2009

Bad luck

In Portugal, anyone with a mere undergrad degree gets the title "Dr.". But no one ever called me Dr. Castela in Portugal, since I moved to England right after getting my degree. In England, I knew I would need a PhD to be addressed as a Dr. Castela. So of course I got the PhD. But in Canada someone with a PhD is called Mr. just like anybody else !!!!!

What must a man do to be addressed in a way that makes it sound like his fellow citizens are inferior in social status??

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Caro Dr. Castela,
Ficamos assim a saber, pela tua prosa,que no Canadá pagam bem mas não lambem botas.
Olha, não sei porquê, parece-me bem.
De qualquer modo quando te sentires carente, (ou pouco superior), sabes que neste cantinho à beira mar plantado serás sempre tratado com a reverência, veneração, deferência, blá, blá, blá... que te são devidas.
Atenciosamente,
Portuguesa sub-cave